November 24, 2015

The Huntsman: Winter’s War

I’ll admit that while Snow White and the Huntsmen had some storytelling issues, and a poor snow-white-and-the-huntsman-posterSnow White, but I still adored the show. Because Charlize Theron was amazing as Ravenna (AKA The Evil Queen). Plus it’s one of the few fantasy movies that looks how I wish a fantasy movie would look. It seems crazy that after all the advancements in technology for movies that there hasn’t been truly epic fantasies with tons of shamefully-awesome magic on the screen. Big budget fantasies tend to be more like Lord of the Rings, with more realism then over the top magic.

The Huntsman was unapologetically over the top fantasy, beautiful and stunning. A certain stylistic quality that I adore. Sure there’s been a few more after  it mainly Maleficent and Cinderella, and I supposed it’s worth mentioning Alice in Wonderland by Tim Burton (which came before). 

Ravenna

So I have been waiting with bated breath for the trailer to drop. I’ve been following the news of the second movie. Which is supposed to be a prequel, though from the trailer I get the feeling that they could pull off a sequel. But then they’d have to drag in Snow White and I do not care to follow that particular SW’s story.

Now let’s move on to the trailer. I’ve decided to highlight a few of my favorite things/scenes (*I went over board*).

Warning: this may contain spoilers for the first movie.


That’s right it’s all official now and the trailer and the title has dropped.

Well done Universal Pictures, well done. There are a tons of amazing things about this trailer. First off I am now obsessed with "Castle" by HALSEY, fantastic song and I had wondered how they could have topped Florence + The Machine’s impactful influence with Breath of Life.

First off, bravo from going “beauty is my power” to that epic opening line of the trailer.

“Mirror, mirror, on the wall. Who is the most powerful of them all?”

huntsman

Then boom! Universal owns it!

universal

What can I say I’ve always been a sucker when a company alters the logo just a little to match the movie(s). Especially when such a subtle change is so powerful.

Then it moves on to these amazing words, to an amazing shot.

“If it’s a fairy tale you’re hoping for . . .

huntsman eyes

. . . prepare yourself for so much more.”

First off the way Emily Blunt is delivering the line in her Snow Queen persona is A-mazing. I adore this shot because it looks so human, and super creepy-magical at the same time. It’s lovely.

I really love that then it moves on to show children, which if you can recall the real Snow Queen legend she kidnaps children. It’s like this little treat that the trailer is tossing us, that this Snow Queen is going to be based in the darker part of the legend.

Not to mention that during this awesome monologue where the Snow Queen is setting up the story, it’s confirmed that we get to meet the Huntsman’s woman, AKA the pair in love. The one who was killed by the queen. And it’s freaking Jessica Chastain! It’s clearly going to be a steamy love story, and Chastain’s character is going to be a bad ass.

thepairinlove

I loved how they reintroduced Ravenna, and her look. Charlize Theron owns this role! She’s amazing as this villainess and happens to be one of my favorites.

ravenna2

Stunning. She’s glamoured up Ravenna style emphasizing her power through beauty. And I actually love even more the Snow Queen’s amazing shot to compare the two sisters. Up  to this point it’s been distorted images, action shots, and teasing glimpsing. So I love that her final shot isn’t as glamorous as some of her other outfits, but it’s perfect in comparison to Ravenna. (Especially love the little “little sister” line.)

the snow queen

At this point it’s safe to say that I adore the glamor shots of the two sisters and how different they each are. Here’s two more of the Snow Queen and one more of Ravenna.

the snow queen 3
She’s riding a polar bear to war! (Though I think they need to polish up the affects.)

the snow queen 2
This is a more glamorous look, but I love how it look like armor.

ravenna4
It’s baffles me how Ravenna can look so beautiful while looking so evil. There’s black crap coming out of her mouth for goodness sake!

the huntsman

It’s sad that while Chris Hemsworth  was a big draw for me in the first movie the only reason I’m really mentioning him is because I love how Jessica Chastain as The Warrior’s look is so similar. They both look like bad asses.

the warrior

Jessica Chastain is going to be awesome. I hate knowing that she’s going to die at some point. The Curses of prequels.

My favorite scene from the whole trailer though is that last one from Ravenna. It helps highlight her ruthlessness and powers. (Oh, and does it remind anyone else of Princess Mononoke or some of the other anime that has used this?)

ravenna3

Love what they did with the two evil queen’s posters, but I don’t like how it echoes of Elsa. Who was supposed to be based of the Snow Queen as well. But hey, they got to get people to watch. The huntsman and the warrior poser is cool. But I don’t like how she seems to be deferring.

the-huntsman-winters-war-posters

I’m very excited to have the writing team behind this one. I feel like maybe the story won’t suffer as much as the first.

All right, I’m done. I couldn’t help myself! This is a movie I’ve been looking forward to for quite a while.

How about you guys? Are you looking forward to it?

2 comments:

diego78 said...

Ah! All these fantasy movies are so wonderful. I miss watching it with my sister. I do watch good shows like the ones by Andy Yeatman with my kids but I would love to add these movies to the list as well. They are growing and will love the movies for sure.

Musicology said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.