July 13, 2015

Review: Fables Vol. 1

****I am reviewing Collected issues only, not single issues.****

Fables: Legends in Exile (Volumes 1 to 5, Collection 1) by Bill Wingham

fables1

Genre: Comic
Edition Reviewed: eComic
Amazon: Paperback | Kindle
Goodreads: Fables (1)

When a savage creature known only as the Adversary conquered the fabled lands of legends and fairy tales, all of the infamous inhabitants of folklore were forced into exile. Disguised among the normal citizens of modern-day New York, these magical characters have created their own peaceful and secret society within an exclusive luxury apartment building called Fabletown. But when Snow White's party-girl sister, Rose Red, is apparently murdered, it is up to Fabletown's sheriff, a reformed and pardoned Big Bad Wolf (Bigby Wolf), to determine if the killer is Bluebeard, Rose's ex-lover and notorious wife killer, or Jack, her current live-in boyfriend and former beanstalk-climber.


Review:

Pretty ding dong cool! The art is wonderful and I adore how gritty and naughty this first collection is! This is how I had always wished Once Upon a Time could have been. Thank goodness a Goodreads friend reviewed this and told me this is what I had been waiting for. It’s the best of Urban Fantasy mixed with the kind of brave stuff I want out of my fairytale reimaginings!

image1

It’s enchanting to see the fables shadowing the fair city of New York. The art captures the dark tone of the city itself as well as the beasties that live there. Fabletown seems right at home in the Big Apple. Especially as a violent crime takes place and a murder must be solved!

The pacing is well done in these first five volumes as it gives readers the basics and introduces the main players. It introduces The Adversary and how the Fables came to be in the mundane world. (Which is actually a pretty clever and funny story when told by King Cole.) Thankfully that’s not the focus right now. It focuses on how the people of Fabletown are dealing with living in this world and takes place around a murder. While I guessed how it would end, the murder/who dun it part, it was still fun getting to that conclusion with Wolf.

COLLEGE

What a cast to pick from! Snow White, so far, is the leading lady and boy is she quite the woman! I’m starting to think that White is very popular as she’s the one that always seems to get the most love, and kick ass personality, when she’s reimagined in a story. She’s the Director of Operations of Fabletown, and she handles it amazingly! That’s not to say some of the other ladies don’t get makeovers. I have a feeling that Cinderella and I are going to get a long quite nicely once she gets more page time. Beauty isn’t what I had hoped for, but maybe that will change over time. Rose Red is quite the interesting character, and sure she’s not the normal big princess, but I like her!

What’s more is no one has their happily ever after. Two of the “big” princess have already gone through divorces and one is battling it out for the long haul.  Martial issues of the happily ever after kind, too cool. These realistic takes are my bread and butter!

COLLEGE3

Prince Charming is such a slut. Man he’s going to be a character I love to loath. Especially because of his dialogue. There’s some bedroom scene dialogue that practically had me laughing until I hurt. Jack is an interesting type, he’s the quick to make a buck and idiot type. Bluebeard is so fascinating! And scary. I’m going to love his character. Then there’s Bigby Wolf.

Ah. No matter the media form I can’t say no to a man who changes into a wolf. To top that this is THE Big Bad Wolf. I’d like him to huff and puff my—OK I’ll stop. (Things could get awkward. Fast.) Wolf is the perfect Sherriff of Fabletown. Not to mention his looks and personality fill that old time cop feel that I love. Solving the murder with him was a true treat. It was a mix of old school detective work and CSI. (Well low tech CSI.)

This was a great introductory to the Fables universe. It’s got my attention and I am revved up for the next collection! Plus, I want to know what happened with the Dwarves that makes Snow White so touchy! I need Cinderella's development! As sad as it is to say I need more horridly naughty Charming moments. Wolf. Yeah, totally need more of him. Clearly The Adversary is going to come into conflict, maybe a big battle for the homeland back. For now though I’ll take what the series is offering while it builds up to it. Gritty takes on fables in the modern age! Nothing is off limits.

Sexual Content: No nudity, but there is sex. Plenty of sexual humor. Very much adult.

 
4/5- Great! Really enjoyed it.


Previous book(s) in series:
Reviewed on BW: Amazon: Goodreads:

Fables (1)
Fables (2)
Fables (3)
Fables (4)
Fables (5)
Fables (6)
Fables (7)
Fables (8)
Fables (9)
Fables (10)
Fables (11)
Fables (12)
Fables (13)
Fables (14)
Fables (15)
Fables (16)
Fables (17)
Fables (18)
Fables (19)
Fables (20)
Fables (21)
Fables (22)

Fables (1)
Fables (2)
Fables (3)
Fables (4)
Fables (5)
Fables (6)
Fables (7)
Fables (8)
Fables (9)
Fables (10)
Fables (11)
Fables (12)
Fables (13)
Fables (14)
Fables (15)
Fables (16)
Fables (17)
Fables (18)
Fables (19)
Fables (20)
Fables (21)
Fables (22)

Collected Issues
Single Issues

No comments: