May 14, 2015

Review: Broken Blade

Edged Blade (Colbana Files, book 3) by J.C. Daniels

broken-blade

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Edition Reviewed: eBook
Amazon: Paperback | Kindle
Goodreads: Broken Blade (3)

Kit Colbana: assassin, thief, investigator extraordinaire. Now broken. She always expected her past to catch up with her but never like this. Haunted by nightmares and stripped of her identity, she’s retreated to Wolf Haven, the no-man’s land where she found refuge years before. But while she might want to hide away from the rest of the world, the rest of the world isn’t taking the hint.

Dragged kicking and screaming back into life, Kit is thrust head-first into an investigation surrounding the theft of an ancient relic...one that she wants nothing to do with. Her instincts tell her it’s a bad idea to just leave the relic lying about, but finding it might be just as bad.

Forced to face her nightmares, she uncovers hidden strength and comes face to face with one of the world’s original monsters.

If she survives the job, she won’t be the same...and neither will those closest to her.


Review:

It's official this series has sucked me in. Despite myself I'm going to follow it to the bitter end. It's ensnared me and I can't look away. Each book is an adrenaline rush. While the first book had tiny (super tiny!) echoes of Kate Daniel, this series is so faraway from it that there is no comparing the two. The Colbana Files have definitely come into their own. Especially after the events of the last book and the cliffhanger.

The first part of the book finds Kit back in Wolf Haven. I enjoy that the 4 months of terror after the events of the last book are spoken about, but not beaten into readers heads. Readers are jumping in as Kit finally decides she wants to rebuild herself, remake herself. Which is a good move. To be honest I found Kit's earlier panic attacks (especially in book one) to be over the top and annoying. More like an excuse to make Damon become a hero, and very forced (cough, farced) hero. Daniels did a good job here. I was moved a number of times. Before certain things started to rub me the wrong way. Which is normal for this series.

“I heard no music, but I'd stopped expecting to hear any, so that was fine.”

Fact is a lot of Kit's true problems are her mind set. After what happened to her it's totally understandable. There's no way coming out of that without your mind f-ed up. It just got tiring when she would continuously beat herself down. Doubting her self so deliberately. Then contradicting, lying, and other tiring things occur. And then when a super powerful witch with more knowledge tells her that magical wounds heal, she basically smacks that down. Puts her head in the sand. Which is what got her into the trouble she was in in the last book. That's not being stubborn. No that's being stupid. (Which is probably why it became so tiring here.)

“I can't stand on my own if you're always there to pick me up.” –Kit

Words Kit states when she decides she's serious about remaking herself. About making herself strong. But it's only lies. As she turns around thinking: “He didn't have to know that it hurt to say it. Hurt like I was cutting out my heart.” Moving. But there was a lot of Damon time. Sometimes I think authors forget how to build suspense. That a newly introduced storyline doesn’t always need to be answered or solved in one book. Though I have high hopes the next book is going to be Damon light.

It's funny how certain rude alpha leads click with me and some don't. Damon didn't click with me in the first book, and there was no time for him to build as a character. Why does it have to happen in the first book? Plus it made no sense for Kit to just jump head first with him. Maybe if the emotions where there, but I didn't trust him. Sure he was putting his life on the line for Kit trying to kill anyone who was willing to give her up to her grandmother. But he dumped her when one bump happened. One fight where he accused Kit of not trusting him. When in reality it was him. And it's never addressed. Even without a certain character “speaking for him” he dumped her. Called it quits. You don't play games when a relationship is that new. I could go on but know. (But I will say he went behind her back, told her nothing and creating a problem. And an opportunity for the bad guy.)

In the end this book and some of the actions from the last do make understand why Kit loves/needs him. In the end I think her best friend Colleen states it best:

“. . . but that son-of-a-bitch does love you . . . and you love him.”

This series is an addiction, a rush. Despite things I don't like about it I can't look away. Especially now. There's too many things I do like and I've even grew fond of the things I don't like. The cast of characters are awesome and I love so many of them. Villains, good guys, and everyone in between. The grammar errors are not as noticeable, just small ones now. Misplaced words/letters. Instead of “Not yet” it's “No yet”. Stuff like that. And I know most readers probably won't notice it. The Colbana series improves with each new book. And again leaves on another epic cliffhanger. Oh, here I come Edged Blade.

Sexual Content: Making out, dark memories, sexual humor, and nothing too over the top.

 
3/5- Adored it, just a few minor details held it back.


Previous book(s) in series:
Reviewed on BW: Amazon: Goodreads:

Blade Song (1)
Night Blade (2)
Broken Blade (3)
Edged Blade (4)
Shadowed Blade (5)

Blade Song (1)
Night Blade (2)
Broken Blade (3)
Edged Blade (4)
Shadowed Blade (5)

Blade Song (1)
Night Blade (2)
Broken Blade (3)
Edged Blade (4)
Shadowed Blade (5)

No comments: