November 14, 2014

Review: Dragon Actually

Dragon Actually (Dragon Kin, book 1) by G.A. Aiken

dragon-actually

Genre: Romantic Fantasy
Edition Reviewed: eBook
Amazon: Paperback | Kindle
Goodreads: Dragon Actually (1)

It's not always easy being a female warrior with a nickname like Annwyl the Bloody. Men tend to either cower in fear - a lot - or else salute. It's true that Annwyl has a knack for decapitating legions of her ruthless brother's soldiers without pausing for breath. But just once it would be nice to be able to really talk to a man, the way, she can talk to Fearghus the Destroyer.

Too bad that Fearghus is a dragon, of the large, scaly and deadly type. With him, Annwyl feels safe - a far cry from the feelings aroused by the hard-bodied, arrogant knight Fearghus has arranged to help train her for battle. With her days spent fighting a man who fill her with fierce, heady desire, and her nights spent in the company of a magical creature who could smite a village just by exhaling, Annwyl is sure life couldn't get any stranger. She's wrong...


Review:

Man this title has been collecting dust for quite a while. Yes, this is a title that I bought years and years ago and shamefully left it alone. Thankfully this popped up as a group read and I had decided it was time! Dragon Actually proved to be a steamy, comedic, gritty, gory, laughable, and fun read! It's not an Urban Fantasy. No it takes place in a world worthy of any Epic/High Fantasy series. Part of me wouldn’t mind lumping Paranormal Romance, Dragon Actually doesn't spend enough time playing in the world for my liking but there’s enough high fantasy to call it Romantic Fantasy. But categorizing the Dragon Kin series is silly, because it's a wonderfully blend that I look forward to discovering further.

The cast of characters introduced are definitely worth looking forward to in future books, which will focus on different couples. Apparently readers get to see the main two characters of this book and further develop what's happening in the Dragon Kin universe. Which is good because the sparks burning up the pages from Annwyl and Fearghus are far from being explored. Which is one of my main complaints with this book. These two have so much more to develop.

Overall this book would have been a grand read for me. If not for the short story tagged on to the tale end of this book. Tale of Two Dragons. Some couples should remain in mystery. The power couple revealed here had excited me. Wondering how Rhiannon, the dragon queen, and Bercelak the Great got together was tickling my mind. In a good way!

Sadly I just didn't feel it. Don't get me wrong, it was hot. But I felt like the story could have been a full book, because it was rushed so much that I just wasn't feeling it. It would have been better for me to just have gone on wondering how those two had hooked up and created the epic story that dragons still gossip about! Or to have the mystery tease on for a couple of books.

In the end maybe I just felt bitter that Dragon Actually was too short, it did well mind you and I loved every minute of this genre blending awesomeness. The story just did not feel whole.  Blending gore with humor perfectly. Chains & Flames is probably going to please a lot of readers, kinky dominating sex ahead! However, it just didn't hit the romantic spot for me. No I was not feeling the love. There's plenty of characters here to look forward too and the world is fantastic!! Don't do what I did and leave this poor book alone. You want to try it out. Just do it. Because I’ll be checking out the Dragon Kin universe again.

Sexual Content: Kinky sex ahead!

 
2/5- Average/disappointing, library check-out.


Previous book(s) in series:
Reviewed on BW: Amazon: Goodreads:
Dragon Actually (1)
About a Dragon (2)
What a Dragon Should Know (3)
Last Dragon Standing (4)
The Dragon Who Loved Me (5)
How to Drive a Dragon Crazy (6)
Light My Fire (7)
Dragon Actually (1)
About a Dragon (2)
What a Dragon Should Know (3)
Last Dragon Standing (4)
The Dragon Who Loved Me (5)
How to Drive a Dragon Crazy (6)
Light My Fire (7)
Dragon Actually (1)
About a Dragon (2)
What a Dragon Should Know (3)
Last Dragon Standing (4)
The Dragon Who Loved Me (5)
How to Drive a Dragon Crazy (6)
Light My Fire (7)

No comments: